Below are some things reflections from our field trip to the Fremont Transfer Station. Learn more about this facility and the 4 Rs at www.stopwaste.org
Things we learned on our field trip:
- How to recycle things like bottles and cans.
- What to put into the green bin and what not to put in the green bin.
- How bottles get crushed and made into new bottles.
- Rot involves F.B.I. (Fungi, Bacteria, Invertebrates)
- FBI can make compost in about two months.
- How to sort out cans, bottles, glass, and plastic.
- Aluminum comes from bauxite.
- The M.R.F. (Material Recovery Facility)
- Glass is made out of sand.
- Plastic is made out of crude oil.
- The four R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot.
- Our trash goes into the landfill in Fremont. This Fremont landfill is almost full. At the end of the summer, our trash will now go to a landfill in Livermore.
Why is this important? Why should we care?
- We can help the earth and this is our home.
- We need to take care of it.
- We need to help the environment so we don’t die.
- We need to recycle so our earth does not become a giant landfill.