The Tale of Despereaux
by Kate DiCamillo
PREDICTION: Make a prediction about The Tale of Despereaux. What do you think this book will be about?
While we listen and read, take notes about:
- Setting (where and when the story takes place)
- Characters (Protagonist, Antagonist, Dynamic vs. Static, Round vs. Flat)
If you want, you can sketch the story while we listen.
Characters So Far:
- Despereaux Tilling (Protagonist)
- Lester Tilling (Father)
- Antoinette Tilling (Mother)
- Furlough Tilling (Brother)
- Merlot Tilling (Sister)
- Aunt Florence (Despereaux’s aunt)
- Uncle Alfred (Despereaux’s uncle)
- Princess Pea
- King Phillip (Father of Princess Pea)
Setting So Far:
- What country do you think the story takes place in? Why?
PREDICTION: What do you think the CONFLICT of this story is going to be about?